Sunday, April 01, 2007

The Couple of Weekend Rides



It's been great riding the past couple of weeks. The weather has been in our favor, especially for this time of year. This weekend was very busy. My "better half" spent the day with her son, and I went on a run to benefit a new fund called the "Fallen Rider's Fund". It was a great time, and everything went really well. I have a few photos of the event, and WHOA!, the cops were out in force.
I found it really strange on Friday, when I pulled into the bank parking lot downtown Kelseyville, and a Sheriff's deputy pulled in a minute after I did. Another motorcyclist, on a Road Star, also pulled in right after me, and parked immediately next to me. He happened to be someone I've known for a few years, and is an upstanding member of this community. I am a local, and I own a home here in Kelseyville. I am also a local business owner, and have no record whatsoever ("knock on wood"). The cop pulls right up behind our bikes once we're in the bank, and he gets on the radio and calls one, or both, of our plate in. I could see him reading them off into the mic. He wasn't trying to hide it, for sure. So, I thought it was strange, and I still feel harrassed buy it. It is disturbing to be "judged", or even "accused", merely by the fact that I ride a Harley-Davidson. It's sickening, and this blatant activity should be grounds for policy change, or punishment. I have nothing to hide, but still feel like I'm a criminal in a cops eyes because I wear leather and have a motorcycle that they don't have the heart to spend the money on. Many M/C's were founded on the very concept of "individual freedom", yet we're "prisoners of the system". It's IGNORANCE!!!!
I am not usually the "whiney baby" type, but either because of the fact that the Hell's Angels had their 50th Anniversary in Oakland this weekend, or because of the Vagos being the main sponsors of this run on Saturday, there were WAY more cops than there should've been. I saw cops almost literally on every other street corner all the way around Clear Lake. I heard several people mention at least 2 different CHP helicopters hovering over a few of the run's stops. As usual, in reality, people are actually safer than on an average day, and the "authorities" make it look like we're a bunch of terrorists. Grrrrr...that pisses me off. They had to have spent 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars for their little "show of force". I couldn't believe all of the unmarkeds driving right by us as we are standing outside the places we stopped on the poker run. It almost made it more fun, because the cops looked so stupid standing there when nobody's doing anything wrong, and it made us want to taunt them(lol). The good thing is, most of them were friendly, and they didn't start trouble with any of us. That was a surprise, but it made for a fun day, and no one went down, or got a ticket that I heard of. There were definitely hundreds of bikes, and the weather was perfect.
We ended the evening on Saturday by going to see Eddie Money at Konocti Harbor. He put on a great show. It was our friend's birthday, so we met up with several of our close friends and had a great time. HAPPY B-DAY B!!!
I will try to post some pics of the ride on this blog. Today we saw Disney's new movie with the bikers. It was great! Hats off to you guys!


No comments: